Statement From General Manager, Peter Sewall
30 April 2020
It was “all eyes on the Governor” yesterday afternoon as he released his “Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step.” Plan for Florida’s Recovery. Admittedly, I was standing center stage in Cheeks amongst a few of my coworkers watching intently as DeSantis unveiled his 44-slide presentation. That presentation can be found here. Yesterday’s press conference was but an hour-long, yet quite a bit of information was disseminated. Please reference this website for a fantastic Q&A about the Governor’s plan.
Executive Orders 20-87 (as pertinent to vacation rentals) and 20-91 (known as the Safer-At-Home order) were effectively extended until 12:01 am on Monday, May 4th by way of Executive Order 20-111. This EO can be found here.
Executive Order 20-112 (Phase 1 of the recovery plan) takes up with the expiration of 20-111. It announces that the State of Florida – with a few county-by-county exceptions – is ready to enter into Phase 1 of recovery. This EO can be found here.
The Governor’s “Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step.” plan is mostly consistent with President Trump’s “Opening Up America Again Plan” which can be found here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/.
It is important to remember that the local government can implement further restrictions. At the time of this communique, Osceola County had not released intentions to do so subsequently to the Governor’s press conference. If there is a significant change, I will provide further updates as they are posted here.
This is how it all pertains to Cypress Cove Nudist Resort.
- Businesses that must remain closed include the Gym, Nature Hair, and Silver Lining Massage. In all three scenarios, the Governor seemed open to the idea of removing these restrictions sooner than later, but not now. I will watch closely for any update in this regard.
- Cheeks will continue to offer carryout and delivery service, however, the inside area(s) nearest the bar must remain closed. Since breakfast orders have declined significantly, operating hours will be 10:00 am to 7:00 pm beginning Monday, May 4th. This offers an additional hour for dinner, which will allow us to better serve the dinner rush. Cheeks will continue to offer three meals daily.
- I’m pleased to announce that Chef Jose and his team have added “breakfast all day” to the menu! As such, you can choose your favorite morning meal whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner time. Additionally, Cheeks Terrace will now offer limited table seating during operating hours. Orders will be placed and picked up using the system in place.
- Lakeside Restaurant will remain closed at this time.
- All sports courts will be available for play with limited capacity beginning Monday, May 4th. For example, the pickleball crew can accommodate two sets of 4 players and one set of two players at a time. Afternoon golf can accommodate several foursomes if started in succession. We want you to be able to enjoy yourselves and make the most of your exercise routine, but in a safe way. A word of caution… off court players must maintain social distancing protocol (including face coverings) while waiting to play. All sports pavilions must not serve more than 10 persons at a time.
- Additionally, the Clubhouse, the Day Room, and the Terrace will be available to groups of no more than 10 persons. Please remember the social distancing protocol, and if not exercising, you must utilize a face covering.
- If you are currently holding any level of Cypress Cove membership, we’d like to welcome you back to the park starting Monday, May 4th. We thank you for your patience during this period of uncertainty, not to mention your unwavering support of Cypress Cove Nudist Resort. We regret that we are unable to accommodate non-member visits at this time. This policy may be re-evaluated with the release of phase 2 of the Governor’s plan. At this time, the villas must remain closed to new reservations.
- Residents may call in friends or family members beginning Monday, May 4th, to tend to certain needs or to assist in providing care, as per Cove policy. This, in addition to registered health care providers and deliveries of provisions.
- Beginning Monday, May 4th, the mandatory 14 day self-isolation period, initially required of all new arrivals, will apply only to those persons coming to Cypress Cove Nudist Resort after traveling on a cruise, or from any international destination, or arriving from any area with a significant presence of COVID-19.
- The lakefront and the sun decks are still open with proper social distancing.
- Re: the pools [insert deep sigh here]… I’m going to try something, but it requires a complete buy-in and some good old-fashioned patience with your neighbor. If it works, we all enjoy the fun, if it doesn’t we’ll roll it right back. So… I’m going to open the pools and the hot tubs on the premise that we’re adults who know how to share. Pool use should be no more than 30 minutes per person… break… allow others to enjoy it… continue. Each pool can accommodate no more than 10 people. With the release of phase 2 under the Governor’s plan, the number increases.
- Re: the hot tubs… same concept, lesser numbers. The outdoor tub can accommodate no more than 3 people at a time with a max limit of 15 minutes per person. The indoor tub can accommodate no more than 6 people at a time with a max limit of 15 minutes per person.
- Edda and I will coordinate a limited opening of Fig Leaf Boutique. Days and hours of operations to follow by way of Facebook and our website.
- The front office will continue to operate modified hours of 7:30 am to 3:30 pm.
This next part is very important (I’m pulling this directly from the Executive Order).
“[…] senior citizens and individuals with a significant underlying medical condition (such as chronic lung disease, moderate-to-severe asthma, serious heart conditions, immunocompromised status, cancer, diabetes, severe obesity, renal failure, and liver disease) are strongly encouraged to stay at home and take all measures to limit the risk of exposure to COVID-19.”
For me, the last 30 days have served as an unfamiliar training ground for kicking a lifetime of poor social practices. I am fortunate; I wish I could say the same for others. When we all recognize our personal responsibilities in containing this virus, the quicker we arrive at “the new normal.” And I want as many of you as possible along for the ride.
Be vigilant. Be cautious. Be alert. Be safe.
Cypress Cove Nudist Resort